Convenience Fee - Payment services on this site
offer a convenient and secure option to pay for Yard Sale Permits. To use the
online payment service, PayPal will charge you a convenience fee of 2.2% plus a
30 cents transaction fee. The City of Norfolk does NOT receive any part of this fee.
Payment Receipt - Customers are responsible for printing and retaining the confirmation
of any payment. The time and date of payments, as indicated on the confirmation, will be the date of payment.
Issuance of Permits – PAYMENT IN ADVANCE IS A REQUIREMENT FOR APPLYING ONLINE. Once the
application and the payment have been made, the application must be processed and approved before the Yard Sale permit
can be printed. If there are no problems with the submitted information, you should receive your printing instructions by
email, within three working days.
IF YOU REQUIRE YOUR PERMIT SOONER, PLEASE VISIT THE COMMISSIONER’S OFFICE IN NORFOLK CITY HALL, 810 UNION STREET, FOR SAME DAY SERVICE.
REGULATIONS GOVERNING YARD/GARAGE SALES
In accordance with City of Norfolk Ordinance No 29139 the
following regulations shall govern the conducting of Yard/Garage Sales.
- No sales shall be conducted without obtaining a permit from the Commissioner of the Revenue of the City of Norfolk.
- No more than two persons residing at different addresses are allowed to conduct
a yard/garage sale at a common site in any residential zone
- No fraternal or civic organization shall be permitted to conduct yard/garage sales in any residential zone
- If the listed applicant is not the owner of the property, then appropriate documentation will need to be provided to the Commissioner of Revenue. Documentation examples are: Your lease; a Utility Bill showing your name at the address; an approval Letter (on letterhead paper) from the Property Manager, etc.
- No more than two yard/garage sale permits shall be issued for any one location during a calendar year
- No sale shall be conducted for more than three 3 consecutive days
- No sale shall be conducted prior to twelve noon on a Sunday
- No sign advertising the sale shall be displayed on any street, sidewalk or other
public right of way
- One sign may be displayed on the premises where the sale is conducted if the area of the sign does not exceed twelve square feet
- Violation of the provision of the Ordinance may result in a fine of not less than twenty five dollars nor more than one hundred dollars
- In order to get new dates due to inclement weather it must rain all days listed on permit and you must notify the Yard Sale Division immediately the next working day from last date listed on current permit
Commissioner of Revenue
Monday – Friday 8:30am to 5:00pm
Back to Yard/Garage Sale Page>>
Back to Home Page>>